An obstetrician is a medical doctor who specializes in the management of pregnancy, labor and birth. They also receive specialized education in the area of the female reproductive system and surgical care. Much of their education focuses on the detection and management of obstetrical and gynecological problems.
Importance of an OB.
While you're pregnant an OB can benefit you in the following ways:
- Prenatal Testing (including blood, urine, pap, etc.)
- Fetal monitoring (ultrasounds, kick counts, electronic fetal monitoring)
- Test for birth defects and/or genetic disorders
- Pinpoint problems early
- Advise you on diet and health
- Advise you on pains, complications, or other concerns you may have
- Prescribe medications
- Have equipment and technology to treat any problems that may arise
- Advise you on physical, emotional and mental changes that may occur
- Be with you during labor and delivery
- Monitor you and baby after delivery
- Help you understand postpartum physical changes